Monday, January 09, 2006

Shrinking Alito

More Alito shrinkage

Using MS Word to summarize Judge Alito's opening statement:
I am deeply honored to have been nominated for a position on the Supreme Court. Justice O'Connor has been a pioneer, and her dedicated service on the Supreme Court will never be forgotten. During the previous weeks, an old story about a lawyer who argued a case before the Supreme Court has come to my mind, and I thought I might begin this afternoon by sharing that story.

Both college and law school opened up new worlds of ideas. It was a time of turmoil at colleges and universities. I've learned by doing, by sitting on all of these cases. When I became a judge, I stopped being a practicing attorney. A judge can't have any agenda, a judge can't have any preferred outcome in any particular case and a judge certainly doesn't have a client. The judge's only obligation -- and it's a solemn obligation -- is to the rule of law. And what that means is that in every single case, the judge has to do what the law requires. Good judges develop certain habits of mind. Thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home