Six songs everyone should own
But give it your best shot. Time is up. Answers are now included
- Madame Butterfly, Malcolm McLaren. From Fans, his reintepretation of opera. For someone who hated music and was a bastard of a human being, McLaren created some interesting music. There is a video (youtube). Connection with the story is tenuous, but I'm sure about 50% of the population will find it visually stimulating.
Gotta have something to believe in
My white honky I do miss him
Some day soon he'll come around
Just to stop my nervous breakdown
- Ain't Nothin' Goin' On But the Rent, Gwen Guthrie. video (myspacetv)
'Cause nothin' from nothin', leaves nothin'
You got to have somethin' if you want to be with me
Oh life is just serious, love's too mysterious
A fly girl like me needs security
- Memories, Slick Rick. This song is a classic, while most of the CD is so-so.
Member seeing Shaft in the movie theater back then?
I feel Richard Roundtree got him a fly deal
Black man wearin' bell bottom and high heels
Laughed a lot, some action mass production
- Mistress of the Senator, Audra McDonald. From the musical, Hello Again, which I have not heard. Just have the McDonald CD.
Hire me to work on your image.
I'll manipulate the press.
We'll buy a registered house with a Georgetown address
We'll write the place off
As a work expense and screw the I.R.S.
- Lady Cab Drive, Prince. Kinda cheated you on the lyrics.
Don't know where I'm goin' 'cuz I don't know where I've been
So just put your foot on the gas -- let's drive
- Cold Cold Ground, Tom Waits. Maybe my favorite by him--youtube
Gimme a winchester rifle and a whole box of shells
Blow the roof off the goat barn
Let it roll down the hill
The piano is firewood
Times square is a dream