Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Opening statement - Grassley

Using MS Word to summarize Grassley's opening statement:
I think it's fitting that you have been nominated to replace a mentor of yours, Chief Justice Rehnquist. There are a number of qualities that I look for in a Supreme Court nominee. Why is it, then, so important to have Supreme Court justices practice judicial restraint? We want Supreme Court justices to exercise judicial restraint so that cases will be decided solely on the law and the principles set forth in the Constitution, and not upon an individual justice's personal philosophical views or preferences.

During my tenure in the Senate, I participated in a number of these Supreme Court nomination hearings, and I believe it's nine to date. Well, the chief justice has been described as first among equals.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home