Monday, January 30, 2006

Stacks of processed wood pulp

Wherein I make a list of books


List of books I'm currently reading or have recently purchased, along with a few I've had for awhile and started but never finished. My goal is to finish these before buying anything else.

Listed alphabetically, by author, but to be read in no specified order:
  • Alias Grace: A Novel, Margaret Atwood
  • Kitchen Confidential, Anthony Bourdain
  • A Short History of Nearly Everything, Bill Bryson
  • Baudolino and The Island of the Day Before, Umberto Eco
  • Secrets from an inventor's notebook, Maurice Kanbar
  • The Art of the Start, Guy Kawasaki
  • Mommy Knows Best, James Lileks
  • Mirror Mirror, Gregory Maguire
  • Commander's Kitchen : Take Home the True Taste of New Orleans With More Than 150 Recipes from Commander's Palace Restaurant , Ti Adelaide Martin, Jamie Shannon
  • God: A Biography , Jack Miles
  • The Substance of Style: How the Rise of Aesthetic Value Is Remaking Commerce, Culture, and Consciousness, Virginia Postrel
  • Unmentionable Cuisine, Calvin Schwabe
  • Misfortune, Wesley Stace


I should easily have these finished by Spring, but just in case I get distracted and haven't finished the list, I will be reading Soul Kitchen by Poppy Z. Brite on July 25. Might even take the day off and read it with a bucket of beer while sitting in the sun.

And based on a recommendation, I will add A Conflict of Visions: Ideological Origins of Political Struggles by Thomas Sowell to the list.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Baudolino and The Island of the Day Before, Umberto Eco

My wife, Allison, disliked Baudolino, but liked The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, Eco's more recent (and possibly final) novel.

1/30/2006 11:36:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

The Island of the Day Before I bought when it came out and just never read it. Picked Baudolino off the remainder shelf and have enjoyed the first couple chapters, so we'll see.

I thought about getting his new one, but since I have two unread books of his I should wait.

I think Eco can so easily change styles that liking one book is no guarantee you'll like another.

1/31/2006 07:37:00 AM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Eerie! I was planning to do a bookstick post yesterday or today, but between getting ready to go out of town and various technical glitches, I didn't get around to it.

Now I feel free to let myself off the heck for a few days or whatever.

Sounds like a good list!

Thanks for the hat tip--and I hope you find the Sowell interesting. I'll look forward to your reaction, some time this year.

1/31/2006 01:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home