Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Huh

wherein when someone asks what I do I always reply "In relation to what?"

Lileks is not bothered by technology and frames it all with the proper perspective:
...but I don’t worry about the internet anymore than I worry about roads. In both cases it’s a matter of where you’re headed and how fast, which I guess was the author’s point. But we’re not talking about new devices that let you vaporize rude people without legal consequences or make you look nine feet tall or run your vocal emanations through a rhetoric filter that makes your evil notions sound sweet and good. A cell phone is a phone without a cord; a laptop is a typewriter; an iPod is a HiFi system. You used to be defined by where you were, most of the day. No more. Now you are what you do, not where you do it. Huzzah.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home