Tuesday, August 01, 2006

The Ken Jennings weekly diversion

Wherein don't know much about nothing apparently


The Ken Jennings Tuesday Trivia is now in week 5 and this is my third week of participation. Technically my second as I just ignored last week's questions, but if I had attemptd them I would have done quite poorly. It's looking like week 3 (I had 6 of 7, including the google-proof #7) was a sucker quiz. This week's quiz is again kicking my ass--a word the NY Times does not like, but that's another post.

You're expected to answer these without using any resources. Let's see how I did:
  1. What literary title character ends her novel as Mrs. Richard F. Schiller, dying of childbirth in Alaska? I had no guess. I Googled the answer: never read the book in question.
  2. In the 19th century, they were sometimes called Herschel and Leverriere. What do we call them today? No idea. The answer is vaguely interesting.
  3. What music star is named for a Soviet gymnast who won three golds at the 1976 Summer Olympics? The only guess I have is Nadia; don't know a singer named Nadia, but that's all I have. Checking, it appears there might be a music star by that name. I think I'll get a point for this one. I'm wrong.
  4. What famous vehicle from American history was owned from 1971 to 2001 by Alabama garage-tinkerer Roy Summerford, who used it to store lumber, car parts, and tools? No idea. I might quibble a bit with calling this a "famous vehicle," though.
  5. Actor Tom Skerritt got top billing for a 1979 movie, *over* the movie's actual lead, who would go on to star in the rest of the series. What's the movie?D'oh! Should have known this one, but the only movie I could think of was the obviously wrong Poltergeist. If I'd given myself more than 30 seconds, I'm sure it would've eventually come to me. But I didn't wait, so no right answer for me. *over* the movie's actual lead--another quibble; it was an ensemble movie and Skerritt was the biggest name, at that time, in the cast
  6. What metropolitan area has a team in all four of the large North American sports leagues, though none of the four are named for the city in question? Twin Cities: Minnesota Twins, Minnesota Vikings, Minnesota Timberwolves, Minnesota Wild.
  7. Here's a list of five famous people: Charles Lindbergh, Mel Brooks, Ronald Reagan, Jerry Stiller, Shakespeare. Based on what they have in common, who is far and away the most famous historical figure who could be added to the list TWICE? I'll let this one percolate a bit. It's an interesting collection of names and I'm intrigued how someone else gets added twice.

So that's 21 of 6 for the "common knowledge" questions and a probable no idea for #7.

Update: on question 7 in the comments. The clue is solved, now looking for the answer.

6 Comments:

Blogger Icepick said...

Number 7 sounds like one of the trivia questions they might have at the Volohk Conspiracy.

8/01/2006 12:25:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Just realized, except for Reagan, all were married to Annes:

Anne Morrow
Anne Bancroft
Jane Wyman & Nancy Davis
Anne Meara
Anne Hathaway

Don't think this helps, but it's almost something.

8/01/2006 01:07:00 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

The answer to #3 isn't a Nadia, Nadia Comenici was Romanian.

The artist in question is responsible for easily the most annoying song of the summer.

I thought #7 might be married to actresses, but Lindbergh screws that up, and really too many folks could be on the list twice to make sense.

The Minnesota question is the only one I knew, I'm a bit ashamed to say I haven't read the novel in question #1.

Also, I could have sworn Tom Skerritt was in First Blood, but then, it doesn't really make sense that he would have been billed over Stallone, but it doesn't make sense that he got top billing in the film in question in the first place.

The right answer to the number seven question is always, "People (or things) that have never been in my kitchen".

All the questions are google or Wiki-able, other than the last one.

If you want to find my results on the list of folks not doing as well as Raj Dhuwalla, I'm listed as Edogawa Conan.

8/01/2006 05:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the answer. It's really not that complicated.

Try doing a search for Nancy Reagan.

8/02/2006 10:56:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Thanks for the tip! Now that the clue is untangled, I just have to solve for the answer!

8/03/2006 06:57:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

And #7 is solved. For a clue I give you Herman's Hermits.

8/03/2006 07:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home