Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Seven

Wherein three correct


1. Twist and Shout
2. ??
3. Titanic survivor
4. someone who played tennis
5. Having looked up the middle name, I don't understand the clue.
6. Something like "pulling out all the stops." This should trigger a Cryptonomicon quote, but I'll let it slide.
7. First thought was something along the lines of borders on different major bodies of water. But I'm not sure all would qualify and I can think of a few more that would. Second thought, maybe noncontiguous borders; but then New Zealand would have to be on the list. East Timor seems like the wild card and I'm drawing a blank.

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

1. I think you might be right, but I think he meant non-covers, if so then Yellow Submarine probably works, too (Ringo penned).

2. I see your ?? and raise you a !?, ??!?

4. Big Bill Tilden comes to mind for some reason, and I don't know why.

6. Had I not read that book, I might not have known this.

7. Another thing to consider is the inclusion of USSR on the list, there is no more USSR, so either that's a mistake and he meant Russia, or he meant USSR and something about USSR qualifies it for the list whereas Russia alone doesn't. Still don't have a clue, though.

Back to #4, D'oh! (after some reflection and some googling of Tilden)

Seabiscuit was related to War Admiral, pretty sure they mention it in that sappy ass movie and book.

(didn't have to look up that, just didn't come to mind right away, plus hearing a horserace described as a 'match' is unusual, but it was a 'match' race with only two entrants, so the term applies)

5/07/2008 12:56:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Don't know nothin' about no horse races. If you'd told me it was about horses and all I had to do was guess the name, I'd have drawn a blank.

A pipe organ also figures prominantly in Stephenson's "The Big U." I've often wondered if he or someone in his family played the organ.

5/07/2008 08:59:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

2. Tom Clancy

5/08/2008 05:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home