Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Statements from Lugar, Bayh, Warner

Lugar, Bayh, Warner introduced Roberts. I've combined, then summarized their statements:
I'm pleased to introduce the president's nominee to serve as the 109th justice of the Supreme Court and the 17th chief justice of the United States, John D. Roberts Jr.

Judge Roberts was born in Buffalo, New York, but moved at age 8 to Indiana. Today's Supreme Court regularly faces issues of enormous public import and attendant controversy. I thank you, Mr. Chairman, and all members of the committee for your courtesy in allowing me to introduce Judge John G. Roberts Jr., a distinguished son of Indiana, whom I believe will prove to be an outstanding chief justice of the United States Supreme Court.

John Roberts grew up in northwest Indiana and still has family living in our state. At only 50, Judge Roberts has had a distinguished legal career that would make most lawyers envious. Most lawyers are lucky to argue and win one case before our nation's highest court.

If confirmed as chief justice of the Supreme Court, Judge Roberts could serve for 30 or more years. Mr. Chairman, Senator Leahy, my colleagues, I am pleased to introduce to you a fellow Hoosier, Judge John Roberts.

Recently, 14 senators, of which I was one, committed ourselves in writing to support the Senate leadership in facilitating the Senate's responsibility of providing advice and consent.

Judge Roberts, I'm the last.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home