Monday, January 02, 2006

Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk

Awhile back I wrote of the Christopher Buckley book, Thank You for Smoking. I had found out a movie had been made and release was due sometime Spring 1996. Also lamented that no trailer was available.

Now, the trailer is available and it looks good. They've moved the cholesterol/cheese attack from the Larry King show to a Senate hearing so Nick gets to challenge Senator Finisterre face-to-face. That's a good move.

Looks like they've altered the story a bit to place more emphasis on Nick Naylor's son and this begins to affect how Nick views his job. I'm a bit leery of this, but as long as Nick is still kidnapped and covered with nicotine patches, it's all good. If they left that part out, then they read a different book than I did.

Quotes from the trailer:
I don't have an MD or law degree. I have a bachelor's in kicking butt and taking names.

Career day at his son's school:
Nick: I get paid to talk.
Kid 1: What do you talk about?
Nick: I speak on behalf of cigarettes.
Kid 2: My mommy says that cigarettes kill.
Nick: Is your mommy a doctor?
Kid 2: No.
Nick: Now she doesn't sound like a credible expert does she?

We don't sell tic tacs, we sell cigarettes. And they're cool, available, and addictive. The job is almost done for us.

That's the beauty of argument. If you argue correctly you're never wrong.

How would big tobacco profit off of the loss of this young man [cancer boy]? It's in our best interest to keep Robin alive and smoking.

Michael Jordan plays ball, Charles Manson kills people, I talk.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw the movie Thank You for Smoking. It's wonderful, you should see it.

3/13/2006 02:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home