Wednesday, March 08, 2006

My memory is muddy what's this river I'm in

Wherein I agree - shrimp remoulade should have remoulade sauce. It's kinda implied in the name


Poppy Z. Brite is talking about New Orleans:
It's not going back to the way it was....I am in Fourth World New Orleans and I'm going to be in a world of hurt if I forget that. I've been doing a lot of interviews lately, and will do more as Soul Kitchen's publication approaches, and of course they all want to know about it. It's not their fault. Why shouldn't they? But we used to live in a place that was the object of the world's wonder and envy, and now we are the object of pity when people care at all. We are solely defined by one thing we did not ask for and could not control, one thing that broke us, yet left some of us, like Ishmael, bobbing in the water to tell the tale. And we have to tell it, just as he did. But oh, it hurts.


And she watches the mayoral debate and offers this rundown:
MITCH LANDRIEU: New Orleans needs leadership.

RON FORMAN: New Orleans needs to get some goddamn shit DONE.

C. RAY NAGIN (incumbent): Everything I say gets twisted by the media. It's not fair.

REV. TOM WATSON: Rosa Parks sat down, but I'm running.

PEGGY WILSON: African-Americans can come home if they have good jobs, but we need to keep those nasty niggers out.

JAMES AREY: I support the arts.

LEO WATERMEIER: We should gets whites involved in the Martin Luther King Day celebration.

ROB COUHIG: I can change this city by the sheer strength of my pissed-offedness!

VIRGINIA BOULEY: I can do incomprehensible financial transactions that will make money for New Orleans, but I'm not saying where I'm going to spend it.

I mean, how can you not laugh, cry, puke, run screaming around the room, throw yourself out the window, etc? And those are only the "serious" candidates -- there are 14 other real wingnuts, one of whom is 23, one of whom is known primarily for her collection of cowboy hats (Greg Stillson!), and one of whom is currently in jail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home