Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Kentrivia, week 8

Wherein answers and vague clues are discussed


Let’s revisit last week’s #7: What do these people have in common: Jose Canseco, Patrick Ewing, Kelsey Grammer, Alexander Hamilton, the Empress Josephine, Camille Pissarro, and Sidney Poitier?

I was leaning towards all of them probably being born in the Carribbean, the East/West Indies, or more likely, a specific island. Without a true guess I started googling for the answer, but there’s a problem: Sidney Poiter was born in Miami. There goes that theory. I never got around to further researching the answer, so with anticipation I opened today’s email. Huh, Ken, fcuked up the question:
All were born in the Caribbean. Not a hard question, except for a little factual boo-boo on my part that many pointed out: Sidney Poitier *is* Bahamian, but his parents were visiting Miami when Sidney was unexpectedly born two months premature, thereby ruining my Question Seven. Still, a whopping 153 players, well over half, got this right, even though I didn't accept answers that were too specific ("All born in Jamaica") or too general ("All born on islands").

Seems to me this question should be stricken from the record books. His intended answer is just as wrong as someone guessing they all had seven toes.

A petition. Maybe a petition will get him to halt the two spaces after the end of a sentence. Or I could just email him a profanity-laced email. It is the internet afterall and that’s the way I was schooled in the newsgroups.

I finished 5 for 6 last week and Ken claims this week is harder. Let’s get this over with.
  1. Moo
  2. Oops, I guessed Burma and that's just a little outside.
  3. I've never heard of the Madden curse, but it's probably a coach of an American sport...so I'll guess...Dick Vermeil. Oh, that is so wrong. That's what I get for not playing video games.
  4. Drawing a blank. I should know more about this guy.
  5. Liberia. Looks to be correct, though in verifying the answer I came up with more than three.
  6. I was going for River Phoenix. But he never made the list. The guy who crashed the plane was younger than I thought.

That gives me two correct, four wrong. Now the google-proof question. Of the six works I've only read Great Expectations and A Doll's House. Both were so long ago that any common element escapes me.

Until next week.

1 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

The guy who crashed the plane was younger than I thought

John Denver?

(I guessed River as well)

And I should have known the Madden one, I do play video games.

I'm losing my mojo. I used to think I was good at this sort of stuff before these Ken Jennings Trivia Tuesdays.

I have you beat as far as not reading the books on the list, I haven't read any of them.

As. Far. As. The. Two. Spaces. After. A. Period. Habit. . .

You can always start a message board topic to let him know how you feel, he seems to read the messages with some regularity (though he'll be on a book tour soon, so he might not do so as frequently for a month or two).

8/22/2006 08:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home