Friday, August 04, 2006

Proofreading your resumé with a fine-tooth comb; because you've picked a profession filled to capacity with nit-picking, anal-retentive assholes

Wherein that's my proposed seminar title


Looking over a few resumés and they're filled with typos and inconsistencies. And please, please, review the document's Properties. I'm not excited about seeing cartoon character names as author tags. Or in the company field, a company name from three jobs ago. Update and review, not that hard.

One more tip. I don't think "Egnlish" is a word.

4 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

I want to hire "Q Dawg".

I can see it now: "Would you prefer to go by 'Q' or 'Mr. Dawg'?"

8/04/2006 01:19:00 PM  
Blogger Icepick said...

You actually check the properties on resumes? Sheesh, that really is nitpicking, anal-retentive assholery. If I ever go job hunting again, I'll have to remeber to leave little messages in some of the fields just to see if it gets noticed.

8/04/2006 03:33:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

It's like this, once I start picking up on the really obvious stuff, I get annoyed and curious.

Also, a lot of my stuff is internal but a fair amount is for external customers. For external documents, I just want the company name and not my name or the department name, so I have a habit of double-checking properties.

8/04/2006 03:38:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

People actually send you resumes in document-file form, rather than as a pdf? Weird.

As for the pain of going through resumes, especially the badly done ones (the majority?), Dorothy Parker seems appropos here:

Resume

Razors pain you;
Rivers are damp;
Acids stain you;
And drugs cause cramp.
Guns aren't lawful;
Nooses give;
Gas smells awful;
You might as well live.


I hope you're home now, enjoying Friday Happy Hour.

8/04/2006 06:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home