Friday, November 09, 2007

WTF was that all about?

Wherein I suspect I'm missing something


In an almost amusing article about people's exercise quirks, there's this paragraph:
Tamilee Webb, a fitness instructor in San Diego, teaches three to four times a week. One of her students repeats this mantra before each workout: “It’s hard body time — 1, 2, 3 woof!” When he’s not doing cardio, his shoes must be untied. He always wears sweat pants, which he tucks behind the tongues of his sneakers (Nike, of course). And his hat is always on backward.

What's up with the parenthetical "Nike, of course?" No where else is Nike mentioned, or any other brand name show. I wasn't aware that Nike was a code word for OCD. Or the author is making a cultural reference that must be common place for her, and the editors, but it flew completely over my head.

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

Nah, why blame bad writing (or incompetence), when simple financial interest may be the cause.

Nike is paying NYT "journalist" secretly to drop in product placement in their stories, that's all.

(or not, but that would be a better answer, I can understand greed as a motivation, all the other possibilities point to gross stupidity)

When the sports columnist start mentioning that the team wearing the most Nikes almost always wins in every sport, then you'll know for sure something is up.

11/09/2007 02:28:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

I'll go with greed. Maybe it's a content generated insert the writer has no control over. Kinda like the content ad generator in Google Mail that is always trying to direct me to spam recipes when I'm deleting spam.

11/09/2007 02:36:00 PM  
Blogger Ahistoricality said...

I don't know. If it were an advertising drop-in, I'd expect it to be a lot less snide. It sounds more like a slam on Nike than a promotion.

Because I use Gmail for a lot of my blogging connections, I now get ads for the damndest political associations.... but they're serious about it.

11/09/2007 04:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home