A book to read next month
Released next month is Escape from Hell by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. It's their Inferno sequel. Other Niven and Pournelle collaborations I've read:
- Lucifer's Hammer -- comet beats the crap out of the planet. Hardy band of Californians fight off cannibals and attempt to save civilization with books hidden in a septic tank. Overall, I remember this being quite good.
- Inferno -- a modern retelling of Dante's story. Hardy science fiction writer refuses to believe he's dead.
- The Mote in God's Eye -- There's these aliens and they have a secret -- psst, not as friendly as they appear to be. Hardy band of humans try to prevent a catastrophe. Probably their best book.
- Oath of Fealty -- There's this arcology outside Los Angeles and conflict ensues. Hardy band of hive-minded individualists fight off terrorists and government bureaucracy. Uneven story with a few interesting ideas and most well known for the phrase "think of it as evolution in action." funny...checking wiki, that's almost exactly their short description.
- Footfall -- Elephant-like aliens invade earth. Hardy group of humans find a way to fight back. There are a couple of major plot points they borrowed from other novels of theirs. Maybe more, I'm not really fluent in most of their separate works.
- The Gripping Hand -- sequel to "Mote in God's Eye." Don't remember much about this other than it confirmed why I'd mostly stopped science fiction in general, and Niven and Pournelle more specifically. I considered myself hardy for finishing it.
Adding Appetite for Self-Destruction to the list for February.