Thursday, January 19, 2006

I think Lost may be popular

So I check my site stats out of curiosity and it says I've had over 1400 visits today. That can't be right. I had a little mini-launch from Reason's Hit and Run last week, but that barely topped 100 visits. Since then I've settled into a very comfortable 40-50 visits a day. Nice and obscure.

So what happened? After last night's Lost episode about every other person on Earth got on the internet to google "Geronimo Jackson," an obscure album from a nonexistent band that grabbed about 3 seconds of air time. I mentioned this here.

And now my stats look this this:


Update: In the comments for the first Geronimo Jackson post this was left:
It's more likely an Alice in Wonderland reference. The two main directors of the 1951 classic were Clyde Geronimi and Wilfred Jackson. It's also worth noting it's not the first AiW reference in Jack-centric episode.

Update 2: It's like a virus. Because not many had mentioned Geronimo Jackson, I was near the top of Google. Begging to Differ also mentioned them, we'd linked to each other, so Google searches hit us both. With that, it gets mentioned at the hot Lost sites. Here's where I have people coming in from:

That's quite a list. As of 12:30pm EST, I've had 2,932 visits and 10,697 page views:


Update 3: At 3:30pm EST, 4,490 visits and 12,879 page views.

Update 4: At 9:15pm EST, 5,597 visits and 7,783 page views. For earlier page views I mistakenly grabbed the overall total, not the daily total. Looks like traffic is slowing down so I'll probably top out at a little over 6,000 visits for the day. Not bad. Unfortunately (or fortunately), as not a lot of them clicked through to the rest of So Quoted, not a lot of stickiness, either. Traffic should be back to normal in a few days.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. We got a little stats boost from my Geronimo Jackson mention as well.

Crazy.

1/19/2006 10:40:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah, that's actually how I found you too. I was trying to see if he was real for my LOST recap.

:)

1/19/2006 07:06:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

This is very cool. I'll bet you get a little bit of pop-back, at least--because people are obviously interested in "Lost," which you are, and presumably you'll keep blogging about.

Let's say even 1 percent comes back ... well, that'd be pretty good, wouldn't it?

1/19/2006 09:35:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Continued craziness. We're having the biggest stats day in the history of the blog (about two and a half years), including a day in which Instapundit linked us twice.

I guess listening to those podcasts can really pay off.

1/19/2006 10:29:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

I started this thing back in August and my hits today exceed the total from the first day through yesterday. I can count on one hand the number of people I know I've told about this place, so just getting days averaging 20 visits was pretty cool. 6,000 visits for what I thought was a dead topic is just insane.

1/19/2006 11:02:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home