Thursday, January 19, 2006

Lost: The Hunting Party

Wherein Jack tries my patience and I wish someone would push him off a cliff

"From the dawn of our species, Man has been blessed with curiosity. Our most precious gift, without exception, is the desire to know more - to look beyond what is accepted as the truth and to imagine what is possible.” Alvar Hanso, Address to the U.N. Security Council, 1967


"Michael won't find us." What does that mean? Did they not lure him out or not? Is he dead, lost? Zeke knows everyone's names, is the hatch bugged? Was Desmond a plant? If not, seems like The Others should have known about the hatch.

Sayid moment - Halfway thru filming someone realized Sayid wasn't in the script. After sobering up a scriptwriter and dragging Naveen off the beach, we have two lines of pointless dialogue. High Five everybody.

I would love to see Daniel Dae Kim nominated for an Emmy. There are a couple fine actors on the show, but I don't think anyone else could do as much as he does with so little.

Love Hurley. Hurley is great. And I'm wondering if the Hurley-love took the producers by surprise and that character became larger than intended. Is it Lilly? I going with she was a therapist (but not an analrapist), at the loony bin Hurley did his time.

And are we supposed to feel sympathetic towards Jack? Because he's my top nominee for an Arzt moment. Want to train an army, who should Jack choose?

1. Sayid - the guy who was in an army and has demonstrated survival skills?
2. Locke - Sure, he can be a bit creepy, but he knows weapons, has shown he can train people, and is probably the one survivor who could survive on the island alone?
3. Ana Lucia - she's been with the group 4 days(?) after killing another survivor. But she was a cop and Jack, pissed off at Kate, needs to focus his whiny maleness towards someone.
Let me quote myself, from Season 2, Episode 4:
If this was a real situation, I suspect Sayid and Locke would emerge as the leaders and everything would be organized and all would have tasks to keep them busy and prepare for survival. Jack would be made to sit quietly in his first aid tent waiting to fix boo-boos.

Bah, I say. Bah. Worst show EVAR? Pretty close.

Finally set up conflict with The Others. I speculated at the beginning of the season that we would see this season culminate in a battle royale with The Others. That's finally set in motion. I also predicted a leadership struggle between Locke and Jack. That could still happen and maybe with the survivors having to choose between the emotional hotheads Jack and Ana Lucia or the calmer and rational Locke and Sayid, we'll get there.

Here's one thing I like about this show. Locke is supposed to be the man of faith and Jack the man of science. Yet Jack is the more impulsive one prone to acts of irrationality and Locke is the more pragmatic one.

Still no definate answer on how many groups are on the island. I'll assume all the plane survivors are together. We have The Others who have Walt. But are these the same ones who picked off the tailenders? And did Zeke seem surprised by the Ethan mention? Based on the opening quote, I'll speculate that The Others we met last night are original scientists from the Dharma project. Let's list who we know is on the island:
  1. Plane survivors
  2. Crazy French Lady
  3. Desmond
  4. The Others who have Walt (Dharma survivors)

I think it's possible that we will learn that the island has more than one group of The Others. Possibilities include:
  1. Others who kidnapped tailenders
  2. Others that Ethan was with

I'll need to stew on this for a couple days, but I'm expecting that the plane survivors will need to form an alliance with a group of The Others and fight off the group of truly dangerous The Others.

Off the cuff thoughts, I'll tweak and add as necessary. As always, I'll list my two favorite spots for Lost conversation:

2 Comments:

Blogger Ahistoricality said...

I haven't seen Daniel Dae Kim in much (Crusade was the first time I really noticed him) but he really does have immense skills as an actor.

1/19/2006 02:04:00 PM  
Blogger Pooh said...

He's been the Korean "That Guy" for a few years here. He had small roles in Crash, and the first (second?) season of 24.

Bill, I share your massive disappointment with last night. I think the quality of the episode is largely related to "whose" flashback it is.

Locke, Charlie, Sayid, Eko = Good
Charlie, er Jack (see they should have made Matty Fox play a character different from PoF, but he's the same guy, different name. Same beard even), Michael = Bad
Kate, Sawyer, Hurley = Meh.
Sun/Jin = great,
Ana Lucia = DUI.

1/19/2006 08:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home