Thursday, March 09, 2006

Going to a sushi bar!

Wherein there's nothing wrong with sushi that a close encounter with a grill wouldn't fix

Everyone knows Shonen Knife? One of those oddly intriguing and strangely popular Japanese girl bands singing in pidgin English and touching their instruments as if they lost a bet to date a leper. Another one I own is the ukelele playing duo, Petty Booka. I contend they probably speak perfect English and are graduates of Juilliard. I bet they're not even Japanese; probably from Kansas.

Shonen Knife's album, Happy Hour, is almost exclusively about food, and this is the Sushi Bar Song:
Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! I wanna go to a sushi bar. I wanna go with you. Hamachi, Ika, Ebi, Tako. Maguro, Kaibashira. How about this Friday night? I can't wait to go. Anago, Uni, Toro, Natto. Unagi, Akagai. Ooo, how nice! Healthy menu. It's my favorite Japanese meal. Ooo, colorful art of the food. It's a beautiful Japanese meal. Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! I wanna go to a sushi bar. I wanna go with you. Ikura, Battera, Salmon. Tamago, Saladamaki. Which one shall I order first? I just can't choose. Kappa, Anakyu, Tekka. Sayori, Kazunoko. Ooo, Let's eat a healthy menu. It's a famous Japanese meal. Ooo, let's drink hot green tea After a Japanese meal. Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar! Sushi, sushi, sushi bar! Going to a sushi bar!

2 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

Your speculation does sound reasonable, but they were honest to god 'Oh Eru' (aka OL aka Office Ladies) before embarking on their DIY ethic Rock God careers.

I never got around to seeing them in concert, heard the shows were fun though.

Their first US album Let's Knife is still their best in my opinion.

I mean, how can you not love an album with Twist Barbie, Flying Jelly Attack, and two versions of Tortoise Brand Pot Scrubbing Cleaner's Theme?

3/09/2006 11:35:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Sushi! Sushi!

I'm still happily basking in the glow of stuffing myself with such on Thursday (the day you posted this).

But where are the lyrics extolling sashimi? (OK, OK--it wasn't ONLY sushi in which I indulged.)

All that mercury! All that bacteria!

And I feel ever so much better for.

(Btw, this is a way cool post--I can't help it if music and food are interconnected in my mind, and in this case, the link is rather obvious.)

3/11/2006 10:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home