Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Twenty Songs from 1964

Wherein More Details are available


I know I’m not supposed to mention songs not listed below, but where are the Kinks? Whomever you people are who were buying records in 1964, you suck. Other than that - good year! Hello, Beatles. And let me say that Roger Miller is truly underappreciated. He’s mostly known for a batch of goofy songs, but just listen to him sing. Smooth and effortless doesn’t even come close. Slate.com had a brilliant article on the author of Streisand’s People; go read The Worst Songwriter of All Time.

Obviously, the year belongs to the Beatles; however, American music wasn’t exactly sucking wind this year, either.

Grade: A

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1964
1. I Want To Hold Your Hand, The Beatles
2. She Loves You, The Beatles
3. Where Did Our Love Go, Supremes
4. Oh, Pretty Woman, Roy Orbison
5. I Get Around, Beach Boys
6. Everybody Loves Somebody, Dean Martin
7. My Guy, Mary Wells
8. People, Barbara Streissand
9. Last Kiss, J. Frank Wilson and The Cavaliers
10. Hello, Dolly!, Louis Armstrong
91. Cotton Candy, Al Hirt
92. Shangri-La, Robert Maxwell, His Harp and Orchestra
93. Chug-a-lug, Roger Miller
94. Steal Away, Jimmy Hughes
95. Louie Louie, The Kingsmen
96. A Fool Never Learns, Andy Williams
97. Bad To Me, Billy J. Kramer and The Dakotas
98. There! I've Said It Again, Bobby Vinton
99. I Saw Her Standing There, The Beatles
100. Needles And Pins, Searchers

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home