Twenty songs from 1971
Wow, the Bee Gees charted in 1971, just goes to show what I remember. Here’s Albert Brooks recalling opening for Richie Havens in San Antonio:
...San Antonio is a different story. Let me think of the best way to describe it, in case you don’t know. You will hear, read, see, think, draw, imagine, dream, vomit up the word Alamo until you want to go and hire the Cleveland Wrecking Company and break it down yourself. The Alamo is there, everything in the town is named after it. Every human, every building, every everything.
Alamo drugstore - no we don’t thank you; Alamo drycleaning - in by 10 out by 5; Alamo movie theater - 8:30, 10:30, 12:30; Alamo Mortuary - no, he’s dead. Every person walking the street: There’s Alamo Bradley and his wife Alamina. Little Alamo, Jr.
This concert was supposed to start at 8 o’clock. I was in the lobby of the hotel at 7:30, met Ritchie and his band. Got in the station wagon. Very easy going guy. Talked to me for awhile, talked to the wagon for a bit. Wasn’t a hard man to get along with. At 10 minutes to 8 we get to this place that no performing should have been done in, ever. It was originally built to store manure for the rest of the world. At eight O two, two minutes after eight, not 8:30, not 8:45, 6,000 people are in place going RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE RITCHIE. 30 minutes, 45 minutes you can handle. Two minutes is just silly. How did all these people get organized that quickly? RITCHIE RITCHIE. I’m trying to dance to it, make a rthym song. He’s sitting there acknowledging - hey, that’s me. I know it is, Ritchie.
I was begging for a disc jockey to be there to introduce me. Usually, I hate it. But I wanted the disc jockey there because the audience would get some of their hostility off on him. Audience hate disc jockeys. And they have a right to, because generally, for the most part, disc jockeys are the worst human beings in the world. This is not my opinion, this is a medical fact. So it’s not me who’s saying it. The AMA came out with a report about 6 months ago listing the three worst human beings in the world. First, were incurable lepers; second was disc jockey; third was curable lepers. In between the lepers.
Bad songs =
Great songs = bold
1. Joy To The World, Three Dog Night
2. Maggie May / (Find A) Reason To Believe, Rod Stewart
3. It's Too Late / I Feel The Earth Move, Carole King
4. One Bad Apple, Osmonds
5. How Can You Mend A Broken Heart, Bee Gees
8. Take Me Home, Country Roads, John Denver
9. Just My Imagination (Running Away With Me), Temptations
10. Knock Three Times, Dawn
92. Wedding Song (There Is Love), Paul Stookey
93. Don't Knock My Love, Pt. 1, Wilson Pickett
94. Love Her Madly, The Doors
95. Here Comes The Sun, Richie Havens
96. Sweet Mary, Wadsworth Mansion
97. Right On The Tip Of My Tongue, Brenda and The Tabulations
99. Riders On The Storm, The Doors
100. It's Impossible, Perry Como