Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Some World Cup ground rules

Wherein let's get this out of the way now so I won't have to yell at anyone later


Consider this either a warning or a heads up, but this site will be almost exclusively World Cup posts for the next month. As such, I have a few rules in place to maintain order. Failure to follow these rules in the comments will result in deletion or mockery. Probably deletion, because it's just faster.
  • Say ZERO. If you are an American currently living in one of the 50 states, it is ZERO, not NIL. Speak American you pretentious queen-sniffing twit.
  • Likewise, it is field, not pitch. A pitch is something thrown at a person holding a baseball bat.
  • I know soccer is boring. We all know soccer is boring. So don't bother. Just because the comments are open doesn't mean you have to leave one.
  • AndrĂ©s Cantor is dead. Find a new catch phrase.
  • It is acknowledged that ESPN sucks. Move on. However, you may acknowledge particularly egregious examples.
  • As I expect plenty of people will be watching the games on tape delay or TIVO, I'll avoid spoilers in the titles. Spoilers are allowed in the post body and comments, so read at your own risk.

That's it. For now.
Tomorrow, I'll reveal my picks for group play. Thursday, it's my picks for Round 2.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pooh said...

As an actual soccer fan, can I say "nil?" How else can I make "One-nil to the Arsenal" jokes about France's games?

6/09/2006 12:25:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Does rule #1 apply to you: "an American currently living in one of the 50 states."

If so, then no. It isn't a soccer a term and it is pretentious to use it.

Your joke is acceptable--as a joke--if wearing a monocle and using a fake English accent. Otherwise, use of "nil" in normal conversation is forbidden.

6/09/2006 07:13:00 AM  
Blogger Pooh said...

[monocle]Jolly good, well played sir. One-nil to Bill[/monocle]

6/09/2006 02:31:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home