Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Updated reading list

Wherein for those of you keeping score

Just finished Daniel Coyle's Lance Armstrong's War. It's an indepth look into Lance Armstrong and professional cycling and covers the 2004 season when Lance won his 6th Tour de France. This was released just before last year's tour, but I put off buying it until the paperback came out to get a postscript on the 2005 season. Well done book and Coyle also has the Outside magazine cover story on Floyd Landis. It isn't yet online, so go buy it. I'll have more on the book and other tour information as the TdF kicks up. I haven't kept up with who the contenders are this year, but with Lance gone it should be a wide open fight. Potentially as entertaining as the epic 2003 tour or the Hinault/LeMond war of 1986. Daniel Coyle is a past editor with Outside and I always recommend two stories of his as some of my all-time favorite magazine writing:

Next up is Reach of a Chef : Beyond the Kitchen by Michael Ruhlman. Honestly, I have no idea what this is about. I'm assuming it's a continuation of his culinary world explorations The Making of a Chef: Mastering Heat at the Culinary Institute and The Soul of a Chef : The Journey Toward Perfection. I also have his collaboration with Brian Polcyn, Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing. I'm considering setting up a separate food blog to explore that book and other kitchen experiments. Ruhlman is also doing some blogging at Megnut.com. Which you should be reading, anyway.

Then there's Sarah Vowell's Assassination Vacation. Just out in paperback.

And I've just ordered the following from Amazon. Notice a theme here? Except for the first one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home