Monday, December 18, 2006

"I'm the Very Model of a Mega-Hyped Celebrity"

Wherein a new litmus test


Title is taken from the comments in Sunday Song Lyrics at Volkh.com. The song in question is Wind it Up by Gwen Stefani. Sounds like she's off on a bizarre solo career that I'll need to look into. Never purchased any of the No Doubt music, though I did enjoy what I heard.

Adler, at Volokh, does not like the new direction. Nor do most of the comments. There's enough there to intrigue me--a Sound of Music mashup and previously she did Fiddler on the Roof? How am I not aware of such things?

Maybe for the same reasons that the comments at youtube are utterly without comprehension:
how cum i havent herd of this be4
its not my style bt kk

That's what I meant to say. Also carried throughout the youtube comments is the interesting idea that if you don't like something (being a "hater'), then it is wrong to say so and if you don't like something why are you watching? Somehow missing the fact that until the product is consumed, you won't know whether to drink the hatorade or wear the suck-up sycophant t-shirt.

A better comment:
This may be the single greatest music video I've ever seen. If I could write a thesis for a college degree on this video, I would. The Asian Lolita backup dancers, the gay icons of people dressed in nuns' habits singing along to the sound of music, the attempted female empowerment message of not bothering with a boy unless he knows how to "wind you up"... this is the stuff of which genius has made. We are witnessing the apotheosis of the music video. Gwen Stefani has transcended the genre.

Yeah, that's more my thinking. I don't think I'd survive too many listens of the song, itself. The video, however, is utterly fascinating. I'd also suggest there's a fair degree of Madonna mockery going on. I consider that a good thing. I'll have to do some more sampling and see if I can convince myself to spend some cash on her. Gernerally, I'm not a fan of overproduced studio efforts, but I am a sucker for an "all but the kitchen sink" approach.

Watch it:


More:
  • Oh, so that's Hollaback Girl. Not so much. Interesting that in this and the song above, both would be easily adaptible by marching bands.
  • Also not so much: Rich Girl.
  • Looks like I'll end up more interested in Stereoliza than Ms. Stefani.

1 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

I had posted a somewhat ambivalent review of the album this is from here.

And this post inspired me to heap much praise on the director of this video here.

I think this is a worthwhile, but frothy, album, but I'm more tolerant of both halves of Gwen's musical personality than most people would be.

Plus, I like goofy in a pop song, and I think Gwen does goofy pretty well.

All I know is that even though I'm not thrilled with the whole album, it hasn't left my MP3 since it came out, and I tend to listen to the whole album without skipping any tracks.

12/18/2006 03:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home