Monday, December 11, 2006

A moral traffic light

Wherein this is up there with the"Every day is the worst day of my life" speech from Office Space

From Terry Gilliam's The Fisher King, a bum, played by Tom Waits, explains his role:
Well, he's paying, so he don't have to look. See, guy goes to work every day, eight hours a day, seven days a week. Gets his nuts so tight in a vice...

...he starts questioning the very fabric of his existence. Then one day, about quitting time...

...boss calls him in the office and says: " Hey, Bob, why don't you come in here and kiss my ass for me?"

Well, he says, " Hell with it. I don't care what happens. I just want to see the expression on his face...as I jam this pair of scissors into his arm."

Then he thinks of me.

He says, "Wait a minute. I got both my arms. I got both my legs. At least I'm not begging for a living."

Sure enough, Bob's gonna put those scissors down and pucker right up.

See, I'm what you call kind of a moral traffic light, really.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ahistoricality said...

I loved that movie.

By the way, I'm halfway through Quicksilver: anyone ever point out the similarities between Stephenson and Victor Hugo?

12/12/2006 01:01:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

Haven't heard that. With Cryptonomicon, there were a lot of comparisons to Thomas Pynchon.

12/12/2006 07:15:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home