Sunday, December 31, 2006

My Cincinnati Chili recipe

Wherein this was a damn fine meat sauce


I'm sure I'll end up tweaking this, but I'd better get this much down for posterity. Worcestershire sauce is a common ingredient that I forgot to add, so I'll probably try that in the next batch (maybe a tablespoon). Probably could've used a touch more allspice as well.

I think one of the keys to an excellent Cincinnati chili is to not brown the ground beef. Instead, let it simmer in the broth and spices. This gives it a much smoother texture.

  • 2 pounds ground beef
  • .25 cup chili powder
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • .25 tsp ground allspice
  • .25 tsp ground cloves
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1.5 T unsweetened cocoa
  • 2.5 cups beef broth
  • 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
  • 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
  • 3 T cider vinegar
  • .25 tsp cayenne pepper

  1. Add everything, except the ground beef, to a large stockpot. Whisk while bringing to a boil.
  2. Add ground beef and break up.
  3. Return to a boil, then cover and simmer for 2 hours.

1 Comments:

Blogger bill said...

recipe update.

1. delete cumin and cayenne pepper.
2. add 1 T worcestershire sauce.
3. you'll need to season with salt. Some at the beginning, most at the end. I have no measurement for this, I just keep adding until it's perfect.

10/26/2013 04:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home