Saturday, February 07, 2009

short quote: snubbings

Wherein first happened upon while reading The First American by H. W. Brands


Kite flying freak:
I do not like to answer angry Letters. I hate Disputes. I am old, cannot have long to live, have much to do and no time for Altercation. If I have often received and borne your Magisterial Snubbings and Rebukes without Reply, ascribe it to the right Causes, my Concern for the Honour & Success of our Mission, which would be hurt by our Quarrelling, my Love of Peace, my Respect for your good Qualities, and my Pity of your Sick Mind, which is forever tormenting itself, with its Jealousies, Suspicions & Fancies that others mean you ill, wrong you, or fail in Respect for you. If you do not cure your self of this Temper it will end in Insanity, of which it is the Symptomatick Forerunner, as I have seen in several Instances. God preserve you from so terrible an Evil: and for his sake pray suffer me to live in quiet.

3 Comments:

Blogger reader_iam said...

Holy shit, Bill!

Bill: Holy shit.

(Hey, you ... .)

2/08/2009 03:00:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

I...um...what?

2/08/2009 05:25:00 AM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Lost in translation. 'Twas meant to convey that you nailed it, and that this is a fab passage. "Holy shit, Bill, this is holy shit [as in "stuff," not crap."]

Great post.

2/08/2009 09:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home