Monday, March 13, 2006

Answer to Friday quiz

Wherein the problem with gaining an audience, even as small as an audience as I have, is that you start to think you occasionally write something worth reading. So it was with my posts basically saying performance enhancement drugs are a good thing and a natural evolution in sports training and medicine. Thought I had some interesting points, links to real world examples, and I was blogging against the grain and doing so in a noninflammatory manner. I got nothing - and that's with Pooh flogging the story for me. Point 2 - it's just a collection of links, but I thought the headline "Dubai Dubai Do...not" was killer. Nothing but cricket noises. Just for that, no one gets to read the post titled "Makes me want to challah." Point 4 - one of my most read posts all week was a throwaway about Kellie Pickler. Grrrr


The correct answer to the question is Ska-La-Carte, by noted third-wave ska group, The Scofflaws and can be found on the CD titled "The Scofflaws."

Ska-La-Carte is light on lyrics but heavy on atmosphere and is probably a rockin' crowd pleaser. Starts off reminiscent of Mancini's Baby Elephant Walk with hard breaks to shout out sushi, then slides into a raucous sax solo over a rapid beat of snare and cymbals. While this is going on, the band is yelling "Hey" over and over. Another round of sushi, another sax solo, more sushi, then a trombone solo, and one last round of sushi.

Doesn't sound like much on paper. But turn it over to a band with a heavy horn section and you have mayhem. I envision a college basketball pep band; instead of sushi, yell out players names; and when you get to the solos everyone is pogoing madly and screaming. Get the crowd in on this and it would be scary.

I wasn't really familiar with the term "third-wave ska." I know ska predates reggae, then there was a revival in the mid-70s London that birthed two-tone and rude boy. It looks like "third-wave" is more of an American fusion of ska and metal or punk. Alright, guess I missed the naming ceremony. Looks like bands like Mighty Mighty Bosstones are included along with The Scofflaws, even though they are dissimilar. As long as we're subcategorizing to the nth degree, I'd separate groups like the SCofflaws and the Toasters from Mighty Mighty Bosstones and No Doubt. Though all American ska owes a great debt of gratitude to Fishbone.

Buford O'Sullivan played with the Toasters and the Scofflaws, and writes about both in his history. Sounds like the Scofflaws are still playing around Long Island.

More on Moon Records.

6 Comments:

Blogger Icepick said...

Well, I really liked the title Dubai Dubai Do ... Not. Funny stuff, really! (And the ONLY amusement to be had from that horrid story.)

And I thought the posts on doping in sports were very interesting. I'm just not sure what my reactionis to them, other than that those that think that fighting doping is a losing proposition are correct.

3/13/2006 09:14:00 AM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

I don't know enough about almost anything having to do with sports to add much to the conversation, and any specific concerns that I would have about sports-enhancing drugs for people who are not fully grown-up (that'd include buys in a college, btw) seems out of the scope.

But I did read your posts with interest.

3/13/2006 10:19:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

both of you are off topic. This is the post where you can discuss the genius of ska.

Maybe later I'll put up the grumpy post for everyone to tell me how much I'm secretly appreciated.

3/13/2006 10:50:00 AM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

I thought the italicized "wherein" part of this post WAS the "grumpy post," though "grumpy" was the word I'd use.

end OT.

3/13/2006 03:34:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

Um, that "was" should have been "wasn't."

3/13/2006 11:14:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Scintillating?
Whimsical?
Funny?

No fair being more opaque than me on my own blog. Keep that up and you'll go on the list.

3/14/2006 09:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home