Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Twenty songs from 1975

Wherein More Details are available

I know I’m stepping away from the pack with this one, but Love Will Keep Us Together is a great song. Now part of this might be the memories - it reminds of spending the summer by the neighborhood pool. Still, despite any abuse that should deservedly be heaped upon the Captain and Tennille for their other atrocities, this should be excepted. Simple lyrics, simple instrumentation, yet a perfectly crafted pop song. On second thought, don’t look too closely at the lyrics, these seem a bit creepy:
Young and beautiful someday your looks will be gone;
When the others turn you off who'll be turning you on?
I will, I will, I will,


Kip Cohen, vice president of A&M, has more on Love Will Keep Us Together:
...played the song from a Neil Sedaka album. "I call it circus music," said Daryl. "I don't know if anyone else does. Remember that sort of happy feeling in Billy Swan's 'I Can Help'? It came through on his record, and that was my goal; I said, 'I wish we could make one just like his when we recorded 'Love Will Keep Us Together.' It's just relaxation time, three minutes of letting your mind wander. That's the only way I can explain it. To me, there's no message, although a lot of people, even little kids, say they like the lyrics."


And don’t we all need a little mindless circus music once in awhile?

I don’t recall Get Dancin’, but with a name like Disco Tex, he gets crossed out on principle. At #5 is My Eyes Adored You, which I always heard as "From a million miles away I could see Hawaii, Georgia."

Grade: B

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1975
1. Love Will Keep Us Together, The Captain and Tennille
2. Rhinestone Cowboy, Glen Campbell
3. Philadelphia Freedom, Elton John
4. Before The Next Teardrop Falls, Freddy Fender
5. My Eyes Adored You, Frankie Valli
6. Shining Star, Earth, Wind and Fire
7. Fame, David Bowie
8. Laughter In The Rain, Neil Sedaka
9. One Of These Nights, Eagles
10. Thank God I'm A Country Boy, John Denver
91. Someone Saved My Life Tonight, Elton John
92. Misty, Ray Stevens
93. Bad Blood, Neil Sedaka
94. Only Yesterday, Carpenters
95. I'm On Fire, Dwight Twilley Band
96. Only You, Ringo Starr
97. Third Rate Romance, Amazing Rhythm Aces
98. You Aint Seen Nothin' Yet / Free Wheelin', Bachman-Turner Overdrive
99. Swearin' To God, Frankie Valli
100. Get Dancin', Disco Tex and The Sex-O-lettes

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home