Tuesday, August 29, 2006

kentrivia number 9 number 9 number 9 number 9

Wherein that's the sound crickets make


Let's get last week's #7 out of the way:
What, specifically, do these classic works all have in common? James Fenimore Cooper's The Pioneers, Dickens' Great Expectations, Ibsen's A Doll's House, Henry James's The Turn of the Screw, Puccini's La Boheme and Tennessee Williams' Period of Adjustment? They all begin on Christmas Eve.

Isn't that interesting? On to this week's Ken Jennings quiz.
  1. For some reason, I read wallpaper cleaner and thought wallpaper stripper. Not that it would've made a difference. Here's a tip: After scoring wallpaper, windex (and any other glass cleaner) does a great job for stripping wallpaper. For the cleaner answer, read this.
  2. Didn't pay enough attention to what the "alpin" in "alpinum" might signify.
  3. Forgot about him.
  4. I feel stupid for not figuring out this one.
  5. Not the Charleston.
  6. I went with the Eiffel Tower, but it's the Inverse Catenary landmark. And I've been in that one. Those little elevators taking you to the top are very claustrophobic.
  7. They all slept with Frank Sinatra? Maybe not. I did learn that the Beatles' Dear Prudence was about Mia Farrow's sister and that kd Lang sang with Tony Bennett.

Ok, that's a mutated giant of a goose egg. Much more like an ostrich egg. But I learned a couple new things today, and isn't that really what it's all about?

3 Comments:

Blogger XWL said...

Hey, that was my joke guess on number seven!

(though, I put it slightly differently, "These folks 'knew' Frank Sinatra in the biblical sense")

For number one, I guessed a different old school children's toy/substance.

And for number four I figured the Shah of Iran might have had such a grandiose title.

For number six, I guessed wildly at the the leaning tower of Pisa, though I knew the height was wrong and the equation didn't make sense.

I joined you in 0/7 shame this week.

Looking forward to the score reset, then Edogawa Conan (my name on the score tally) will rise again.

8/29/2006 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Unless there's another Joe G. Cannon, he died in 1926. That's a little early for some Sinatra porking.

8/29/2006 01:35:00 PM  
Blogger XWL said...

I would make some joke like, maybe Cannon was a priest in his later years, but that would be wrong, wrong, wrong (on many levels).

8/29/2006 08:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home