Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Maybe soccer fans are just retarded

Wherein it wouldn't surprise me


A teaser from the NY Times:
In Peru, Efrain Viafara, a midfielder for Sport Ancash, created an uproar when he used his buttocks to trap the ball. His bit of unorthodox skill was interpreted as a mocking act by Universitario players, who chased Viafara. Fans began to fight in the stands, then poured onto the field before the referee abandoned the game.

I need more information. Trapped the ball with his buttocks -- what, by spreading his cheeks or holding the ball between the buttock and upper leg? Not that it makes much of a difference as it sounds like these were people looking for any excuse to riot.

A bit more in this version of the Reuters story.

More under Protect The Personalities:
The story of the Peruvian player who controlled the ball with his buttocks and provoked a riot has shed some light on the curious morality of soccer players. Foul play, diving, haranguing the referees, and constant shirt-pulling are accepted as part of the game. But whatever you do, don’t exhibit any signs of personality.

..."If they had sent off Viafara none of this would have happened," Universitario captain Mayer Candelo, evidently not a man with a sense of humor, was quoted as saying by Reuters. Though I’m not sure on what grounds Viafara could have been red-carded, given that he committed no offense other than to exhibit an unusual facet of his ball skills.

There's also a comment that the "Ass trap" is demonstrated in the movie Gregory's Girl. One of my favorite movies, but I can't recall that moment.

What the hell? This is it? You want to know what's ruining my love of soccer? Whiny, cry baby soccer players. He trapped the ball. That's all. Screw it, I'm watching synchronized swimming from now on. They have more balls than most professional soccer players.

5 Comments:

Blogger reader_iam said...

You're a fellow lover of Gregory's Girl?!? Did I know this?

I am a happy woman.

XXOO

12/05/2007 10:07:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

According to google the only other mention was a paragraph about the band Altered Images where I mentioned that singer Clare Grogan was n the movie.

One of my favorites, along with "Local Hero."

Did you know there's a sequel, Gregory's Two Girls? Not supposed to be very good.

12/06/2007 05:39:00 AM  
Blogger Icepick said...

Screw it, I'm watching synchronized swimming from now on. They have more balls than most professional soccer players.

That's hardly a surprise: there's twenty-two players on the field at a time, and only one ball between them.

Personally, I though the ass-trap was quite effective.

12/06/2007 09:47:00 AM  
Blogger bill said...

more should be changed to bigger, shouldn't it?

I thought it was quite cool.

12/06/2007 09:49:00 AM  
Blogger Ahistoricality said...

Looked like a pretty cool move to me, but what do I know? The last sport I followed seriously was Sumo.

12/06/2007 12:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home