Thursday, March 16, 2006

Twenty songs from 1966

Wherein More Details are available

Have the sixties even started yet?

I remember watching The Monkees TV show and did not realize they were created this early. Is it now conventional wisdom that they were more than a joke band and had some very good songs? Vietnam pokes around the corner…scary. I can’t cross out Ballad of the Green Berets, forty years later, it’s a well-crafted cheeseball ballad and kinda catchy. Looks like the squares were still beating back the longhairs.

Bill Hicks: The Beatles were so high, they let Ringo sing a couple of tunes. Tell me they weren't partying. [singing]"We all live in a yellow submarine, yellow submarine."[/singing] We all live in a yellow submarine? Do you know how fucking high they were when they wrote that? They had to pull Ringo off the ceiling with a rake to sing that song.

Grade: B

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1966
1. The Ballad Of The Green Berets, Sgt. Barry Sadler
2. Cherish, Association
3. (You're My) Soul And Inspiration, Righteous Brothers
4. Monday, Monday, The Mama's and The Papa's
5. 96 Tears, ? and The Mysterians
6. Last Train To Clarksville, The Monkees
7. Reach Out I'll Be There, Four Tops
8. Summer In The City, Lovin' Spoonful
9. Poor Side Of Town, Johnny Rivers
10. California Dreamin', The Mama's and The Papa's
91. My World Is Empty Without You, Supremes
92. Baby Scratch My Back, Slim Harpo
93. She's Just My Style, Gary Lewis and The Playboys
94. The More I See You, Chris Montez
95. 634-5789, Wilson Pickett
96. Yellow Submarine, The Beatles
97. Nowhere Man, The Beatles
98. Zorba The Greek, Herb Alpert and The Tijuana Brass
99. Shapes Of Things, Yardbirds
100. I Fought The Law, Bobby Fuller Four

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home