Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Twenty songs from 1980

Wherein More Details are available


A fairly moribund year. Plenty of 70s holdouts with just a few flashes that maybe the 80s would be interesting.

From lileks: "That's what radio was like in 1980: they had to dumb down "Call Me" to make it palatable."

Grade: C

Bad songs = crossed out
Great songs = bold

1980
1. Call Me, Blondie
2. Another Brick In The Wall, Pink Floyd
3. Magic, Olivia Newton-John
4. Rock With You, Michael Jackson
5. Do That To Me One More Time, Captain and Tennille
6. Crazy Little Thing Called Love, Queen
7. Coming Up, Paul McCartney
8. Funkytown, Lipps, Inc.
9. It's Still Rock And Roll To Me, Billy Joel
10. The Rose, Bette Midler
91. Give Me The Night, George Benson
92. Broken Hearted Me, Anne Murray
93. You Decorated My Life, Kenny Rogers
94. Tusk, Fleetwood Mac
95. I Wanna Be Your Lover, Prince
96. In America, Charlie Daniels Band
97. Breakdown Dead Ahead, Boz Scaggs
98. Ships, Barry Manilow
99. All Night Long, Joe Walsh
100. Refugee, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

3 Comments:

Blogger reader_iam said...

How did I miss this post!

Oh, I just can't go over this one bit by bit.

But number 8? Dear lord, if ever anything should ever be crossed out ....

But then again, you didn't have my next-room neighbor.

Sigh.

(Btw, I've really been enjoying this whole series of yours.)

4/05/2006 02:33:00 PM  
Blogger reader_iam said...

And I'm far more OK with Manilow than people would think, but "Ships" not crossed out as performed by Manilow? Not if you ever listened to it performed by by its writer--Ian Hunter.

Did you listen to him, btw? I rarely hear him mentioned anymore, which is a shame.

I still listen to him, though, and, from time to time, also Mott the Hoople.

Lord, I'm middle-aged.

4/05/2006 02:39:00 PM  
Blogger bill said...

Did I listen to him? Not actively. I recognize the name and might recognize a song if I heard one.

Looking at the list again I probably could have crossed off a couple more. Guess I was feeling generous. Plus, there's a handful I just don't remember and I mistakenly gave them the benefit of the doubt. I hate Kenny Rogers and didn't cross him off.

I must of been thinking of the foul hatred I would encounter later in the decade and this year got a free pass.

4/05/2006 04:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home