Michael Phelps versus Alex Rodriguez
Michael Phelps admits to using a drug that if used regularly could harm his performance, and for most it's no big deal.
Alex Rodriguez admits to taking drugs so he can perform better, and he's hated and scorned.
Possible reasons for the difference:
- Professional vs. (pseudo) amateur.
- More people have lit up than shot up. Actually, if you consider all the medical uses of steroids, I'm betting more people have used steroids than pot.
- Phelps is lovable, A-Rod is a jerk.
- follow-up: gold medal winner vs World Series nonwinner.
- No one cares about swimming.
- Relaxing vs cheating.
- Plant vs pharmaceutical.